Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TEFL, where to go?

It's been some time since I posted to this blog, wow.

I have been once again thinking about getting a TEFL certification to teach English abroad.  I've been thiking about doing this for the past two years.  I have been in Chicago since I moved back from Seattle in 2007.

I have been unemployed for the last 5-6 months and can't find any work.  Because of this, I thought there was no better time to pursue this TEFL dream. 

Most recently I've been set on taking the month-long TEFL course in Prague and teaching in Prague.



Please keep in mind I visited Europe for a month in April 2011 and saw London, Paris, Nice, Venice, Prague, Berlin and Poland and didn't want to come home.

I had the fortune of being born to parents who cared about our upbringing and took us traveling whenever possible.  I am one who is completely open to living abroad and experience what life has to offer outside the US, especially with the way this country is going.

I got off topic.  My friend in Prague, who is a non-TEFL teacher, hasn't really mentioned any concern about finding work or Prague being over-saturated with Americans.  I will admit it would be pretty cool if she was still living there if I go to Prague, a friend I can hang with once and a while and show me the ropes of the city again.

My other friend who has taught and lived in Poland (and is now teaching in the Middle East) is telling me to avoid Prague like the plague and look to teach in Asia (Japan, South Korea, and China).  From asking questions and doing research, these Asian countries supposedly allow for the person to save more money compared to any of the European TEFL jobs and often include free housing while their stay.

Finding out the length of contracts is key as is visa issues.  My friend in Prague suggested I take the course there as it would be easier to do interviews in person and they would think I care about the country and want to stay.  If I decide on Korea, are there TEFL courses there? Need to find this out. Hope you reply, Tom!

 

No comments: